Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Theme for Spain: I get stuck a lot of places

Not only did I get stuck in an elevator in Spain but last night I was almost locked out of my apartment building. For some reason the locks in Spain are extremely complicated. You think you just put the key in and turn, but no. My lock requires me to turn the key slightly the right, pull the door towards you, push a pedal at the bottom with your foot, and then push the door open, but apparently there's some other trick to it because it usually takes me at least 10 minutes to get the door to open. Last night I went to a cafe and had a glass of wine with 2 other girls and I get back to my building and cannot open the door for the life of me (no, I wasn't drunk off one glass of wine, this had happened to me early in the day as well). I ended up calling a friend of mine to come help me and even she couldn't do it. Eventually it opened and I have no idea what I did. I wasn't able to ask my house mom about it in the morning because she was gone by the time I woke up BUT while I was struggling this afternoon a lady who lives in the building showed me how it was done. Apparently you can't put the key all the way in the lock (duh! why would I think to put a key completely in a lock?) Anyway, this evening it only took me 3 tries to open it haha.

Adventure of the day: A walk by the river. It was a great view and a nice path to walk on, but my friend and I encountered something slightly disturbing. As we crossed a foot bridge an older woman came up to us asking for money. After we politely refused she walked about 5 paces away and promptly lifted her dress and peed on the sidewalk. We were a little shocked and decided to walk a little quicker to the other side of the river. Shoe stores seemed like a safer and sanitary venue.

We also met with the psych professors today, and since all the girls are taking psych classes those should be really nice. Oh yeah, and we basically never have class. Bonus.

Here is where I would insert beautiful pictures of Salamanca, but because I failed as a blogger and a traveler I'll show you some googled pictures of places I like.

This is the Plaza Mayor. It's even more amazing in person than it is here and it is ALWAYS full of people no matter what time of night.
This is the Cathedral. I love walking by it everyday. And yeah, most of the buildings look like this. It's awesome.

And since I am here for school, this is probably the most famous view of one of the buildings of the University of Salamanca. Apparently you are supposed to look at all the pictures etched into and find a frog. If you don't find it before your exams you won't have very good luck. I better get searching.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm taking a little rest and then I'm out with the rest of the people on my trip plus to German girls who live with a guy in our group. Should be an interesting night. More to come.


2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the lady was simply into permaculture and doesn't believe in flushing toilets? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possible. But we also need to remember that she clearly wasn't wearing underwear...not exactly socially acceptable at the age of 60.

    ReplyDelete